Creamy Mango Tart
Updated: Jun 14, 2019
Come the season of mangoes and I get inspired to try out various mango desserts. While nothing beats the charm of the humble diced mango over vanilla ice-cream, a little effort often results into a very presentable and delicate dessert.
Tried this easy recipe of Mango tart which uses biscuit crumb base and has a mango flavoured custard for the filling. I have cooked the custard of gas-stove, so no need for another round of baking with the filling.
For the base:
12-14 Digestive biscuits
1 spoonful Brown sugar
2 tablespoons Melted butter
For the custard:
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup sugar 2 tablespoon cornstarch OR 1 tablespoon plain flour, 1 tablespoon ready to mix custard powder 1/2 cup of milk 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup mango pulp 1 tablespoon butter For decoration:
1 Mango thinly sliced
1. Coarsely grind the biscuits using a mixer or just by pounding in a plastic bag.
2. Add melted butter and sugar
3. Press firmly to the bottom of an 8 inch pie tin or a round tin
4. Bake for 10 mins in a preheated oven at 180 degrees
5. set aside to cool.
For the filling:
1. In a heavy bottomed pan, mix milk and cream. Heat until just simmering.
2. In another bowl, beat egg yolk, whole egg and sugar until plain and slightly light.
3. Add flour/cornstarch and mix in
4. Add mango pulp and mix
5. now gradually add the egg/sugar/mango mix to the simmering cream while continuously whisking to avoid any lumps.
6. Keep on a very low flame and continue to cook as you continue to whisk
7. Cook for about 3-4 mins
8. Remove from flame and let it cool to room temperature, whisk every few minutes to avoid formation of skin on top
9. Once cool, pour on top of the prepared base and chill in the fridge for minimum 4-6 hours
10 Decorate with thinly cut mango slices, Serve with a dallop of whipped cream or a scoop of icecream