Eggless honey walnut spice cake
It was one of those days today when you want to bake a cake but run out of almost every required ingredient. Well, almost everything!
I did not have eggs, cocoa or brown sugar, neither had vanilla nor any fresh summery fruits. That left me rummaging around the pantry till I stumbled across the jar of honey sitting cozily in the corner and all the aromatic spices peeking from their beautiful little glass jars.
That was the end of my worries as I quickly put together this Honey spiced cake. I spruced it up with a generous addition of walnut chunks which perfectly complimented the soft silky cake with the nutty flavour.
1 and 1/2 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp nutmeg powder
1-1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
Zest of one lime
½ cup honey
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
½ cup plus 1 spoon – 80 grams butter
1/3rd cup Roughly chopped walnuts
1. Line a 6 inch round tin and pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a bowl, Sift together all dry ingredients except butter, sugar, walnuts and yogurt
3. In another mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till light, gradually add the dry mixture alternating with spoonful of yogurt.
4. When all the batter is combined, fold in half of the walnuts leaving behind the rest for the top.
5. Pour the batter in prepared baking tin and sprinkle remaining walnuts evenly - you can vary the quality of walnuts as per your choice.
6. Bake for about 30 mins, till the cake passes skewer test.
7. Leave in the pan for 2-3 mins, then invert and leave on a wire rack to cool