Eggless Rose cupcakes
The idea for this cupcake started with that half full bottle of rose petal jam (gulkand) staring at me since a few weeks. I had already tried a cake with this wonderful jam topped with chocolate ganache and it worked wonders. However, this time I wanted to make the small cakes to go with tea.
This slightly modified recipe from my cake recipe, resulted into perfectly spongy cupcakes. If you wish, you can top these with freshcream frosting or just enjoy plain.
They taste best on the day or can be stored in an airtight container for 24 hours.
1 and half cup flour
half cup butter
1/3rd cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
1/3rd teaspoon baking soda
1/3rd teaspoon baking powder
2 pinches salt
1/2 cup plain curd
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup gulkand (Rose Petal Jam)
2 teaspoons rose water / essence
1. Line two 6 inch tins and preheat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Sift dry ingredients together, includes flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
3. Cream butter and sugar lightly.
4. In a mug, mix milk, curd and food colouring. Adjust the quantity of food colouring to the desired effect.
5. Now add the dry and wet mix to the butter sugar batter one by one. Start and end with dry mix. With cupcakes, we need not worry about heavy whisking.
6. Once all ingredients are incorporated, add gulkand and rose essence
7. Remember to distribute the gulkand throughout the batter by checking for any big lumps
8. Scoop into lined cupcake molds and bake for 15-20 minutes