Rosey delight - Eggless gulkand cake
Updated: Aug 14, 2019
I wanted to make an eggless cake as it is the Navratri season and yet I did not want to stick to the routine vanilla or chocolate cakes. Even Banana cake, which is a go-to recipe for anything eggless wasn't an option as the bananas in my fruit basket weren't ripe enough.
So, I decided to raid the fridge and find something flavourful. Tucked in the very corner of the fridge door was a bottle of Gulkand (rose petal jam) and I also had a bottle of Rose water essence handy.
That was all I needed to try out this amazingly delicious cake.
The icing is a simple chocolate icing as we didn't want anything heavy and the decorations are real flowers instead of buttercream as we wanted to cut down on sugary icing too.
1 and half cup flour
half cup butter
1/3rd cup sugar - notice the less sugar ratio as gulkand adds to sweetness
1/3rd teaspoon baking soda
1/3rd teaspoon baking powder
2 pinches salt
1/2 cup plain curd
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup gulkand (Rose Petal Jam)
2 teaspoons rose water / essencered food colouring - optional
1. Line two 6 inch tins and preheat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Sift dry ingredients together, includes flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
3. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy
4. In a mug, mix milk, curd and food colouring. Adjust the quantity of food colouring to the desired effect.
5. Now add the dry and wet mix to the butter sugar batter one by one. Start and end with dry mix.
6. Once all ingredients are incorporated, add gulkand and rose essence
7. Remember to distribute the gulkand throughout the batter by checking for any big lumps
8. divide into two tins and bake for 22-25 minutes
100 gm baking chocolate or chocolate chips
2 - 3 spoons icing sugar
1-2 spoons milk
2 spoons butter