Scrumptious Bean Burgers
Homemade burgers are my favourite go to meals when it comes to having a proper meal with a great match of cricket. I have tried many burger patty recipes using beans, chick peas, cottage cheese and the versatile veggie patty. The most tantalizing of all is of course the bean burger patty which packs high protein nutrition along with crispy covering. These patties can be grilled in the oven or can be shallow friend on a pan. The best part is, what goes in is very adaptable too. You can easily swap leftover rajma curry or chole curry for the beans and the recipe would still result into these mouth-watering burgers.
For the patty -
1 cup red kidney beans, soaked overnight, pressure cooked for 8-9 whistles
1 medium red onion
1 small bunch coriander
spices - approx 1 -1.5 teaspoon each - salt, red chilly powder, cumin powder, chat masala
0.5 - 0.75 cup dry bread crumbs, reserve 0.25 cup
For assembling the burger :
Thinly sliced tomato, onions
Mayonnaise or any other sauce of your choice
1. To make the patties, cook beans until soft.
2. In a big mixing bowl, mix cooked beans, chopped onion, coriander and bread crumbs
3. Add spices, adjust quantity to taste. The patty mix should taste slightly spicier and saltier when tasted on its own so that it balances out with the buns
4. Mix and mash everything till it is well combined. Add more bread crumbs for binding well if required.
5. Shape the mix into 6 balls and flatten on your palm.
6. Roll into reserved bread crumbs.
7. Freeze for 10 mins
8. Heat pan or preheat oven to 190 degrees.
9. Shallow fry or grill in the oven for 15 mins